Sunday, October 9, 2005

Making Progress

Tricky! very tricky. Getting going with this blog has to wait for serious attention when I get home in the UK. A week in the US has confirmed Parafeen's prejudice about the paucity of entertainment and the poverty of art among the dozens of TV channels: all too bright, too loud and far too much advertising. These latter are the worst ever because they seldom get across to you exactly what it is they think is worth your money. Maybe they just go too fast for me.

A meagre offering of global news – but that may be because now it is only the catastrophes that engage our attention. This has been a year of mega-drama in Indonesia's Tsunami, New Orleans' drowning and now, today, South-East Asia's earthquake among a spate of terrorist incursions into the lives of innocents, world wide. I can see now why the internet becomes the preferred source of information of a meaningful kind. Parafeen's favourite website, his `Smirking Chimp' tells me today that an old hero of the fight against bigotry and damn foolishness, one Zbigniew Brzezinski has come up with a piece about the reason's for the US having lost its high standing in the community of nations. He offers a solution, quite impossible according to Parafeen because it requires co-operation between political rivals – Democrats and Republicans rather than the ongoing competitive point scoring in the struggle for power on the home front.

Which brings me to my favourite subject and one upon which I will dwell ad nauseam in this blog: my views on Zimbabwe's past, present and what little sense I can make of the country's future. The nausea is my own and I will strive mightily to enlighten those who might chance upon this blog as to why they should bother to read it. But more later when I get home to my own attic across the Atlantic ocean.

No comments:

Post a Comment