Monday, August 18, 2008

CORRECTION: MUTAMBARAS DODGY MOVE, TSVANGIRAI 'S RUSSIAN ROULETTE

On reading further reports it seems to me almost certain that Arthur Mutambara was prepared to sign a deal with Mugabe if Mbeki had allowed it. We can be quite certain that Tsvangirai has the full support of his party to withold his signature if there is the slightest possibility that Mugabe will be up to his usual tricks. This time the old rogue remains determined to hold on to authority while pretending to be willing to share it. It now comes to a final race between the spectre of starvation and the person who blinks first at the negotiating table.
I hope I am right in putting my faith, as I always have, in the extraordinary courage of the majority who are willing to die if it comes to that, for democracy.
Copyright © 2004 Diana Mitchell

No comments:

Post a Comment