Wednesday, January 25, 2006

CHEWING BITS OF STRING

`The chief defect of Henry King/Was chewing little bits of string.' HILAIRE BELLOC's whimsy is a long time favourite. I began my blogging in October last year with half a borrowed and a wholly fractured quote:`Let go the hand of Nurse' for my title. `Nurse' back then was my computer guide and helper. I was reluctant to strike out on this blogging thing without him, the worthy Parafeen. I was led to believe, when I left the political arena, that what I had to record, especially about Zimbabwe, might be worth a few minutes of a reader's time.
Now that the splintering of the MDC opposition party has taken us back to where we started in 1998 - with the search for a new constitution - we democrats are left with nothing new to say. We are left chewing little bits of string. The state is tottering, people are looking desperately for hope, for help ... and for now, for all of them, trapped by an infamous regime, there remains only a tyrannical old Nurse to hold on to. Methinks there is a long wait ahead... So now,I must go back and correct that quote:
`And always keep a hold of Nurse
For fear of finding something worse'

I shall keep slogging ... and blogging away on this machine. I plan to thrill my reader, starting tomorrow, with some excerpts from my memoirs - a Two for the Price of One, for the time being.
I leave you with a message of hope, more of Belloc:
'Oh let us never, never doubt
What nobody is sure about'

Copyright © 2004 Diana Mitchell

No comments:

Post a Comment